Last update: 25th May 2020
As a result of the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic and in line with government measures, Disneyland© Paris has closed temporarily until further notice. Because of this situation, we inform you that the Explorers Hotel, as well as all our restaurants and activities will also remain closed until further notice.
Sales on our website and with our business partners are also closed for all stays with an arrival up to 14th July 2020.
We are sorry for this unexpected turbulence. Please note that we follow all recommendations issued by the health authorities in real time in order to adapt our procedures according to the situation and its evolution. We look forward to keeping in touch with you concerning eventual changes, here online.
Because this situation is exceptional, we have decided to modify our usual sales conditions to offer you more flexibility, and to see you soon aboard!
For pirates who had booked non-cancellable, non-modifiable stays for an arrival up to 14th July 2020:
– If you have booked your stay on our website or with our crew by email or phone directly, we can offer you to:
– If you had booked your stay with one of our business partners (Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels .com…), please contact them directly. We have informed them of our new measures. If you have difficulties to postpone your stay, please contact our booking department.
– If you had booked your stay with Veepee, we can offer you to postpone your stay for a departure up to 31st March 2021 (except periods from 24 to 31st October and from 18 to 31st December). If your postponement request is made before 14th July 2020, you will have no charge. After this date, you can still postpone your stay for a departure up to 31st March 2021 (except periods from 24 to 31st October and from 18 to 31st December) but our sales and rate conditions available at the moment of the new booking and available on our website or with our crew directly will be the ones applicable. Please contact our booking crew: firstname.lastname@example.org
– If you have booked via another channel (TO, travel agency, etc.), please contact them directly. They have also been informed of our new policy.
If you have made a cancellable, modifiable booking for an arrival until 14th July 2020, your sales terms and conditions are already flexible. If you want to postpone your stay, you benefit from the conditions above (postponement without any penalty for requests coming before 14t July 2020, then modification possible with terms and conditions applicable at the moment of the modification).
We are currently receiving a lot of requests. Your satisfaction is our priority and we will answer all requests. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
We look forward to welcoming you soon aboard with your family!
Your Captain Archibald